Sunday, February 15, 2009

youtube videos

Of all the youtube videos, there were quite a few that stuck out in my mind, for certain reasons.  They all had interesting transitions and effects that emphasize what they really want to viewer to take out.  Turning the sound on an off made quite a difference.  The background music set a different kind of theme while the type still emphasized other things.  I thought the mood and feel brought by the music was interesting, but in some cases didn't add too much.  Most of the thoughts were expressed through the typography.  These are some of my favorites:

I Love NY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbvFoX5lG9o
The whole "feel" to this video is kind of city-like to me.  It represents the blocks of a city and moving throughout.  I love how the type creates a "boxy" feel.  The transitions are so interesting.  Graphics are included in this one as well, but they aren't over-the-top.  They are just enough to add another element, but not take away from the art of typography.  The music gave it a bubbly, happy, never-been-here-before feeling and I think it worked well.

Live Out Loud-Kinetic Typography
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAAoaNMM-xc
This one was probably my favorite.  It was very simple, yet had so much energy and expression.  I feel like I got almost as much from it with the music off.  I did like the contrast between the sweet, melodramatic feel of the cello playing in contrast to the yelling.  It was an interesting transition and that I feel turned out very well.

Motion type-Almost Famous-I'm On Drugs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwk27Nwi7c
I didn't like this one.  It had to much going on.  The background was distracting, the font choice and "glowing" elements didn't look good, and it took away from the just of the piece.  If they would have put it on a solid black or white background that would have helped from the beginning.  I think it is better to stick with one or two fonts and just play with size and emphasis in other ways.  

Experimental Type in Motion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2PVmcJhEQU
I really liked this one for many reasons.  She used a textured background but kept her color palette limited, for less distraction.  The way the words grew and shrank was very interesting.  Parts of a letter extended off and went back in space which made for interesting transitions.  I also liked the way that the a letter would fill a page and become a background for the next.  I also thought it was interesting at the end when she place a bunch of words around this square which then turned into being the bottom of the question mark.  Loved it.

We Are Designers-TVC-Typography
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KVaypqlqxI
This was another simple, yet effective one.  I liked what the music added.  The words vibrate with the sounds and you almost wonder why they are so much without the sound on.  Again, a limited color palette and use of fonts was good.  Nicely done.

The Perfect Drug Typography
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgHoJcOiMAI
I didn't think much of this one, other than I wanted to change a lot of things I saw.  The bright blue on the maroon is absolutely horrible at the beginning.  The font choice could have also been better.  I think sans serif fonts with that blocky feel create the smoothest transitions, or at least something not so close to the monospacing and serifs of courier new.  There were a couple of parts to the piece that were interesting like the use of masking somewhere in the middle.  Good concept, just needs work.

No comments: